Because the best stuff always happens to me

Yesterday I had an interview with a temp agency (don't think that's going to be a particularly positive move--it's not exactly a "high-end" or "classy" agency), and, of course, it turned into a minor disaster.

As I was getting off the train, some guy tried to grab my purse. Fortunately, I was holding the purse tightly enough so that he didn't get it. Unfortunately, I was holding the purse tightly enough that, when it didn't come off my arm, it knocked me onto the ground. And it was raining.

I'm wet and muddy. My right hand is bleeding. I'm also 20 minutes early, so I run into a CVS and pick up some bandaids, then run across the street and duck into a McDonalds. I get my hands all bandaged up and dry my pants off under the hand dryer, then use the hairbrush from my purse to clean the mud off and go to the interview.

Final injury count: swelling and cuts to pinkie and ring finger of right hand; twisted right ankle; bruising to the outer arch of the right foot; scratches and swelling on the palm and back of right hand (yeah, somehow managed to injure both sides of my hand); two very large scraped patches on right knee, one of which will not stop oozing ick; seriously injured pride.

People keep asking me why I didn't call the police. Frankly, I can't tell them anything. All I know is a white guy wearing running clothes tried to grab my purse and ran away. He came up behind me, so I didn't see his face. Nothing to tell.

In other news, I had my Teach for America phone interview this morning, and I think it went fairly well. I hate phone interviews because there's no way to judge how well or how poorly you're doing, but I think I said the right things (and, more importantly, I said honest things), so I'm hoping that I'll get to have an in-person interview. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

0 comments: