Be Vewy Quiet...I's Huntin' Paychecks


Unemployment, Day 3.

So, here's some good news: I have an interview with a temp agency on Friday. They're looking for someone to proctor exams for a law school for 2 weeks. It pays better than minimum wage...not much, but it's a paycheck and I would rather take that for 2 weeks than an unemployment check. I know it's what it's there for, but I've got all that pride and stuff, and I'd rather work. And, we'll talk more about the other things I can do and what else the agency might be able to do for me.

And here's some ridiculous news: I got an invitation from a headhunter to apply to work as a financial adviser. Me. A financial adviser. Even Ben up there looks irritated by that. (Or he's got a cramp in his hand from writing so many crappy essays.) Here are three reasons me working with money would be a bad idea:

1. I don't have any money. Since I've never had to make any major financial decisions for myself--other than whether it's worth the extra 60 cents to supersize it--I don't think I'm particularly qualified to make decisions about other people's money.

2. I don't believe that money exists. I don't know where it comes from, or where it goes, but when we're talking about needing to put billions of dollars into our economy, I can't wrap my head around it. Is there actually a room somewhere with a billion dollars in cash in it? Frankly, I think there's just this sort of idea of money that's in no way, shape or form backed up by actual coin and paper.

3. I have really, really bad math skills. Really bad. I'm pretty sure that when one is working with money, which is quantified by numbers, that being able to add, subtract, multiply and divide is a key skill to have.

Hopefully, though, something else I have in the works will come through for me. Before I was made redundant, I had applied for the Teach for America program. Tomorrow, I find out whether or not I get an interview. Watch this space.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Financial advisor is a bad way to go. Tell them to go f-off.

Hope you get good news from the Teach for America thing.

Or, you can always ADJUNCT, and be gloriously fulfilled like some of the rest of us out here!