I Ate This, Pt. 1

Okay, so I've been for the past month doing the South Beach diet, trying to lose an amount of weight approximately equivalent to like a second grader. At this point, I have lost one chin.

South Beach is low carb, high protein, high fiber with lots of green leafy veggies. It's particularly difficult for me because I LOVE carbs, particularly for breakfast. For the past few weeks, I've been eating omelets every weekend, so at this point, if I have to look at another omelet I will scream. And then I found this recipe for whole wheat vanilla pancakes.

Okay, so if you look at that picture, they don't look quite that tasty. Mine looked a lot better. And they were totally yummy! Even J thought they were as good as the pancakes I normally make. Throw on a little turkey bacon, and it's a yummy, healthy breakfast. To keep the sugar content (a.k.a., the carb count) low, I put low sugar strawberry jam on mine.

So, as part of an ongoing segment here on Ad Nihilum, I will share with you these things that I have eaten that actually taste good, so you can enjoy them as well! And next time, I will think ahead and put an actual photo of the actual food I made up for you!

Whole Wheat Vanilla Pancakes

1/2 Cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
1/4 Teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I used light yogurt)
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in one bowl. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, water, oil and vanilla. Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Pour batter into a non-stick pan over medium-high heat using approximately a 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. When bubbles appear, flip and cook till light brown. Makes 8-ish, equivalent to 2 servings.

Yum!

0 comments: